Dr Amanda Phoon Nguyen- Perth Oral Medicine Specialist
BDSc (UniMelb), MRACDS (GDP), DClinDent (OralMed) (UWA), MRACDS (OralMed), Cert ADL, FOMAA, FPFA, FICD, FACI, MAICD
- Amanda is an oral medicine specialist in Perth. She is known for her approachability, devotion to patient care, and masterful ability to harness modern technology to support her patients and share her passion for oral medicine. Amanda completed specialist training at the University of Western Australia, and her understanding of oral medicine became personal when a family member developed oral cancer. When Amanda completed her training, she was even more motivated to help others. Today, she is happy to support patients in her role as clinician at POMDSC, with her public appointment at the Oral Health Centre of Western Australia, as an adjunct senior lecturer at the University of Western Australia, and as a Consultant at the Perth Childrens Hospital.
- Amanda is committed to clinical excellence and continuing education. She is on the Board of Studies (Oral Medicine), the Editor, and Examiner for the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons (RACDS), reviewer of continuing professional development (CPD) for the Australian Dental Association (ADA) and has been on the WA Dental CPD committee for over 8 years. Amanda believes in interdisciplinary teamwork and represents her specialty at WA Orthognathic Multidisciplinary group. Amanda continues to engage in research, publishing in and reviewing for several journals. Her love for teaching and public speaking motivates her to give informational lectures on many clinical and research topics, and she is regularly invited to present nationally and internationally, including at a TEDx UWA.
- Additionally, Amanda is heavily involved with various professional committees. She is Vice president of Dental Specialists Society of Western Australia, President of Women in Dentistry WA, co-chair of the Australasian Sleep Association Dental Sleep Medicine Council, Secretary of RACDS (WA), Treasurer of International Association for Dental Research (Perth Region), and was previous Vice President of ADA(WA). Amanda holds Certificate of Advanced Dental Leadership and membership to the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Both in her role as a clinician and without, Amanda is committed to public service. A proud Royal Australian Navy ex-servicewoman, she enjoyed serving her country. Today, she dedicates her energy to supporting community causes. She is a Director of the Jaye Radisich Foundation, Uniting Smiles Charity, and volunteers with Healing Smiles, a volunteer organization providing pro-bono treatment to domestic violence victims. Amanda’s hard work paid off when her project on Improving Compliance in Head and Neck cancer patients received a Wrigley Company Foundation ADHF Community Service Grant. She has been awarded an Australian Dental Association Valuable Service Award, and Fellowships of the Pierre Fauchard Academy, International College of Dentists and the Academy of Dentists for services to the profession.
- As a healthcare provider, Amanda prides herself on the attention she gives all her patients. In her practice, she is devoted to combining her knowledge of oral medicine with top-quality patient-oriented care. She is enthusiastic about helping her paediatric patients. Her love of improving the lives of the next generation doesn’t just exist within the walls of her clinic. To bring out the laughs of patients of a local children’s hospital, she volunteers as the bear mascot.
- At your appointment with Amanda, you can expect a friendly smile, a listening ear, clinical expertise, excellent communication, and genuine empathy. Amanda is also fluent in Mandarin.
- Professional Affiliations Editor, Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons; Secretary, Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons WA Regional Committee; Treasure, International Association for Dental Research (Perth region); Secretary, Dental Specialists Society of Western Australia; Oral Medicine Specialist, OHCWA Annex, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital; Fellow, Oral Medicine Academy of Australasia; Member, Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons (Oral Medicine); Fellow, Pierre Fauchard Academy; Member, Australian Dental Association; Member, Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry; Member, Australasian Sleep Association
- Certifications BDSc (UniMelb), MRACDS (GDP), DClinDent (Oral Med) (UWA), MRACDS (OralMed), Cert ADL, FOMAA, FPFA
- Special Interests Orofacial pain, Oral mucosal disorders, Temporomandibular disorders, Dental sleep medicine and Paediatric oral medicine